The Internet of Everything (IoE) is a broad term integrating people, process, data and things into networked connections.
In contrast with Internet of Things (IoT) that defines communication with physical objects, IoE lies in the intelligent connection includes all concepts (i.e. people, process, data, and things) together to a more unified system.
Thus, the Internet of Everything advances the power of Internet further to improve business and industry outcomes, and make people’s lives better by adding to the progress of IoT.
The fairly new term was recently developed by Cisco, an IT and networking company, believing that IoE brings people, data, and things together to make networked connections more relevant and valuable.
Its goal is to have “new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented economic opportunity for businesses, individuals, and countries.”
Considered to be a superset of Internet of Things (IoT), IoE is basically IoT combined with data from humans, business processes, and data structures.
As what Cisco elaborated:
“The “Internet of Everything” builds on the foundation of the “Internet of Things” by adding network intelligence that allows convergence, orchestration and visibility across previously disparate systems.”
IoE is seen in health monitors, fitness trackers, smart cars, and smart watches, becoming a huge potential for future growth and development.
Internet of Everything and Beyond
Source: Cisco Blogs
Through intelligent connection, the Internet of Everything (IoE) binds all concepts (i.e. people, process, data and things) into a cohesive system.
It is considered to be the next wave of Internet growth that includes user-generated communications and interactions associated with the global entirety of networked devices.
The actual IoE applications range from digital sensor tools/interfaces, industrial machine learning systems and other types of distributed hardware that have become more intelligent and automated recently.
IoE features fall under two (2) main categories:
- Input. Allowing analog/external data to be put into a piece of hardware.
- Output. Allowing a piece of hardware to be put back into the internet.
The IoE Pillars
To better understand the concept/philosophy of IoE, let’s dive into its core parts:
- People. Connecting people in more relevant, valuable ways, humans through utilizing connected devices to deliver insights about their personal and professional self. These insights that include preferences, interests, personal health, etc. are needed to provide valuable data for business-related prospects.
- Process. Making the best use of big data in delivering the exact information to the right person/machine at the right time, data is more of an insightful information or an action rather than seeing it as just random chunk.
- Data. Converting data into intelligence to make better decisions, classifying of information and analyzing it bring valuable insights. Here, data itself is nothing but once integrated with analytics and analysis this new data can help enterprise industries to implement tactical decision making and better manage their organization.
- Things. Having the fundamentals of the Internet of Things, inter-connectivity among physical objects and devices allows sending and receiving information across the internet generates valuable data to be collected, summarized and analyzed efficiently.
Advantages of the IoE
A futuristic technology that interconnects network or devices to the proposed internet, there are a lot of expected advantage of IoE. Few are the following:
- Inter-connectivity among IoE platforms create vast amounts of data when analyzed and used intelligently. It allows organizations to engage with their customers in variety of ways to create new business models.
- Upon creating new business models that are specifically to build customer loyalty, businesses can be able to bridge emotional brand connections (thus making experiences personalized) with target offerings based on the data generated from the IoE platforms.
- In connection to that, governments can revolutionize the way they do business:
- Real-time data generated among citizens’ smartphones provide better insights regarding power outages, road conditions, and crime sightings.
- Educators and administrators can intervene and personalize the learning experience among students.
- Smart meters allow cities to track usage and identify any leaking.
- Sensors attached to public transportation vehicles and private cars allow authorities to manage traffic flow and prevent accidents.
- A more pervasive broadband network is enabled in all cities.
Connecting the internet to the physical world such as people, process, data, and things, IoE possibilities are just mind-blowing.
The concept/philosophy is geared towards increasing customer value and better business insight having all the devices communicate with each other.
With IoE, allows businesses to engage with their customers in a whole new ways to create new business models; build customer loyalty and also governments can enhance their services to citizens.
By Tuan Nguyen